Who Said It Leaderboard

  • The Hojnacke's: 13
  • My Three Sons: 9
  • Aurelia: 5
  • Barbra Moore 1
  • Charles and Kelly: 1
  • Everyone else: 0

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pure Machiavellian......

Megan has set a goal to read the dictionary: She wishes to improve her vocabulary so that she can be an excellent writer. Before you scoff, I should warn you that when Megan sets a goal she becomes very "Aurelian". This is a new vocabulary word (not yet in the dictionary). It means that if your older brothers and sisters can do it that you will do everything in your power to be able to do it sooner and better.

She frequently asks me about these new vocabulary words. Most recently, she asked me what Machiavellian means. Now I am the type of teacher who prefers to demostrate things rather than lecture. Many of you know that Jason has been looking for a job and sometimes I feel I need to provide extra motivation (always subtly though). I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to demonstrate Machiavellian strategies.

(Phase I) I started by showing Megan that she could find new songs to play on the violin besides the ones she learned in 6th grade. I opened the Children's songbook to "Follow The Prophet" (one of Jason's least favorite songs because of it's repetitive nature). Megan is of course a quick learner and a dedicated practicer. The following day Jason called me at work pleading with me to teach Megan something new. She'd been practicing for a full 45 minutes.

(Phase II) Andrew has also expressed an interest in learning to play the piano. I worked out a deal with him that he could start taking lessons when he starts 1st grade (one month). But first I figured I'd show him some basics. I sat him down and showed him Middle C and explained that he should practice finding Middle C and playing it. Naturally, Andrew practiced playing Middle C diligently for the next 10 minutes.

Did my Machiavellian tactics work? Jason called me yesterday to let me know he was on his way to a job interview.........

3 comments:

  1. Ummm, forgive me if I am wrong, but I think the idea behind machiavellianism is to continue on in your cunning without admitting to it............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Which is why I will never disclose Phase III. Mwahahaha! (note to self: figure out how to upload evil laugh to play in background)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome!!! I need to figure out ways I can be machiavellian, too!

    ReplyDelete