Who Said It Leaderboard

  • The Hojnacke's: 13
  • My Three Sons: 9
  • Aurelia: 5
  • Barbra Moore 1
  • Charles and Kelly: 1
  • Everyone else: 0

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mmm Mmm Good!

Back in the old days (as my kids would say) we used to be able to come home for lunch during the school day. Mom had reached a stage where she was tired of cooking the same old things and was ready to experiment. I still remember some of the new recipes--many of which were surprisingly good. I remember pita bread with chicken, bean sprouts, and peaches of all things. At the tender age of 11 I couldn’t fathom that peaches and chicken would actually taste delicious together. Another combination I never would have considered was cheese and pineapple. Basic recipe: English Muffin with a pineapple slice and toasted cheese. Again, I was surprised at how good they tasted together.

But then again I also liked Bologna cooked in the microwave for 30 seconds. It would actually bubble up and form the shape of a toilet bowl plunger which the more I think about it, that image seems apropro. I actually cooked some bologna the other day in the microwave (I think I was trying to recapture my childhood) and it was disgusting!! I bet you didn't know that a stack of bologna when left behind the couch does not get moldy. It just gets hard as a rock. I know this because I have two boys.

So why am I suddenly remembering all of this? Well the kids have been home all summer and they are getting sick of the same old boring cold cereal and sandwiches that they eat day in and day out. They are also getting sick of the 110 degree weather. Megan Cosette (in keeping with her namesake) decided to experiment and figured she’d kill two birds with one stone.

The result? Cold cereal ice cubes!
The verdict? As tasty as micro-waved bologna!



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of Ben mixing all sorts of ingredients in a cup and trying to get us to drink it, i.e., milk, a little ketchup, mustard, mayo if you were lucky, and pretty much anything else in the door compartments of the fridge. Charles may have been the only one brave enough to actually try it, lol!

    ReplyDelete